Monday, July 14, 2008

I Swam With Ducks!

Not the Anaheim Ducks like my dad suggesged (though that would have been nice too!) But these were 10 chicks and a momma duck. I went to the park pool (was a very nice day for a swim) and amongst the kids and families, was a family of ducks! Apparently one of the ducks decided to leave the pond and she hatched her chicks in the pool area. Then decided that she would make the pool her new home. This actually scares me, I'm sure the chlorine is not good for those cute little furballs. And apparently Animal Control isn't interested in coming by to get them out of the water. Their response? "Just leave them for now."

I think I should alert the media. Ducks invade community pool, authorities indifferent!

Even though it was cute to see them in the water like that, most of the kids tried to chase/catch the ducks. They weren't having that, they kept swimming away. Seriously, unsupervised kids are brats. Nothing less. All these kids wanted to do was catch the ducks. They chased them, splashed them, etc. And unfortunately, my camera is still a POS and I am unable to provide you a picture of me and the ducks keeping cool in the blue water. Bit here's exactly what the mommy would have looked like and one of her chicks (no the little guy is only sleeping):


I am also happy to report that I didn't get sunburned (I didn't put sunblock on except on my feet) and I got just enough color to keep from looking pasty.



So everyone is going back to Florence Lake eh? When? I would like to drop by if I could park the car somewhere and catch a lift to the site---no easy feat I know!

1 comment:

mom said...

Carina, don't worry about the ducks. Way back when Frank and I owned a motel in Washington with a giant pond we spent all day trying to catch the ducks that made our walkways dirty.We had nets and a boat and waders. they let you get just so close and then they scoot away. If the kids were bothering them they would just leave.Cute story though and yes kids are all brats,at least sometimes.
Muna