Friday, October 17, 2008

I'm Radioactive

Well I'm not uptight
Not unattracted
Turn me on tonight
Cause I'm radioactive


Today I went to the Radiation Oncologist in La Jolla for the injection of the radioactive isotope. It felt quite bizarre. I could feel the injection of the needle and syringe as it filled the balloon in my skull with liquid. Not many can say they know what it feels like to have something poured into your head! It was a little awkward and uncomfortable but not really painful. Then to mu delightful surprise my Neurosurgeon removed the staples from my head as well.

So, right now I'm dangerous. More dangerous than usual. My family cannot come within 3 feet of me. I can't go near Miss Pickles. I can't go near any small children or animals. I'm surprised that I'm no danger to myself! As you'll see from the pics below, my uncle thought that to further protect himself I might want to wear a hat...



Come Wednesday next week the radioactive isotope will be removed, and somewhere near the end of the month I will have the surgical procedure to remove the balloon and catheter.

All in all, I am enjoying myself very much in San Diego. It's nice to have my family by my side and to just focus on recovery. I'm already 50 pages away from finishing the 3rd book in the Twilight Series, a series I'd only just begun before I arrived in San Diego. I intend to make it to the beach while I'm here just to relax, and I intend to hop around town whenever possible. I'm told to stay away from Tijuana. Here's a pic of my room at my Uncles' house:



Miss you all. Thank you for the cards and well-wishes and for all the pretty flowers. They've really made each day here that much more special. I hear there is supposed to be some hip party when I return....
In the meantime- I love this picture of my head bandages after the surgery.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Carina! Hey I got your message this afternoon and I am so glad you got the card and liked it! I read your blog (as evidenced by this response). I like the "Kevin was here" picture. Hope you get to enjoy some more of your book. Talk to you soon!

Love,
Christina

DC Girl said...

I love those photos, so awesome. Can't wait to be there for your awesome party! I'm glad your birthday camera is providing some use.

LOVE YOU!

Peter Scott said...

Yay! Thanks for posting some pics and updating us. You are in my prayers throughout every day. So glad that your spirits are up through all of this. I'm sure it helps the process.

Praying that you will continue to feel good about things and that God would continue to heal you.

Love,
Jen

Unknown said...

hey Carina I'm praying for you friend!!! Good Advice stay away from TIJUANA! I was born there I can say that! :-) friend when you can talk on the phone do call me!!! MUCH LOVE FRIEND!
ana franco

ThePressureLounge said...

dig that awesome picture up on your wall in your room. I'm glad you no longer have a bunch of hot air between your ears (zing!). Keep us posted about that raging party when you get back!

Marianne said...

Thanks for the post, Carina! I'm so happy you are enjoying SD. You are in my thoughts, and can't wait to see you when you return to Sac!

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

Gotta love your new "hat". Great to see the pictures and so encouraging to hear that it's going "relatively" well! We continue to pray for you and know that your personal strength is being bolstered by God and that you'll be home soon!
Yay - Amy van Riessen

Susannah said...

Happy day after your birthday!! I'm sorry I didn't call, it was the whole first day of school thing that had me all thrown off. Anyway, I'm sorry. But happy birthday! I hope you're having fun with it!!