Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Life's been good to me so far..

The anthem of my life, the cry of my spirit; and the hope for my future.

I don't have a mansion or a fancy car or gold records on the wall, but I am dearly loved. I've been blessed with several good fortunes and countless gifts. I'm rich in spirit and in wealth. I have close friends that I can depend on, share a good time with, and be accountable to. I have a nuclear and extended family that loves and supports me in what I strive to do, and accepts me as am where ever I am.

Sure childhood wasn't easy, and I saw many things happen in my home that I wished I didn't, but I've got everything else. Yes, my parents went through a nasty divorce that put my sister and I in the middle of a few traumatic episodes. It's unfortunate that I only got to live in a house for a few years. I was put in a neglected kid's home while my sister got to be with dad, and I remember being left to fend for myself while my mother was out taking drugs and breaking the law, but so what? These are the earliest memories I have of when God started to teach me how to be brave.

"..They say I'm crazy but I have a good time.."


I have good health. I am looked after. Happily I am still able to look and care after others. I am living exceptionally well.

All the achievements that I've been able to complete to this day are great gifts that I can be proud of even though I belittle each one of them. I am able to make life happen for myself, instead of walking though it believing its made me. Even though I think these choices are easy and there's no excuse for not doing them, I guess it's kinda cool that I have.

I don't feel that my life lacks any value or meaning. I don't feel that I lack the same because I am without a husband, house, high-paying job, children, etc. And I am 30 years old! Shouldn't I be afraid? I know other women wouldn't want the same. We (myself included) freak out when we reach 30 years of age and don't have any of the before-mentioned dreams. I was one of them.

"..Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
I can't complain but sometimes I still do.."

I suffer from injured pride. I am humbled because it took the cancer stick slap-in-the-face to wake me up from all my frustration and despair. But overjoyed now that I have realized that though all of the above desires can be wonderful blessings in a woman's life, they certainly don't make it. I wasted too many years being upset that I had none of these situations in my life. I want those years back!

It's much easier to be a friend, servant, believer, and a woman without all of that self-inflicted pressure. I wish it for all my single girlfriends, and boyfriends with similar issues.

And the Cancer? I have been able to walk through treatment mainly on my own, without any difficulty. I have plenty of support, and a mostly put-together brain that allows me to work, drive, talk/think/joke/laugh/read/ and bake cookies without any real problems. I get annoyed when I fuse words together, or forget my keys, but I'm thinking that problem is more to old age setting in..;) And lest I forget, I GOT TO GO TO AUSTRALIA!!!!

"..I keep on going guess I'll never know why-LIFE'S BEEN GOOD TO ME SO FAR...!"





*Lyrics borrowed from Joe Walsh with possible permission.

7 comments:

Katie Scott said...

Carina--It was so great to read through this post and hear the joy in your voice. God is awesome!!!

Andrea said...

Carina, I love your attitude! What a wonderful post. You are such an example to others of how to maintain a spirit of hope and of joy no matter the circumstances. Praise God!

Orange said...

how come I never saw this? love it! love you!

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

Thank you for the inspiration you give to the rest of us to get our priorities straight! I appreciate your spirit! Hugs!
Amy

DC Girl said...

Ditto to everything everyone has said. I couldn't have said it better myself. You rock Cargate.

Anonymous said...

Love your + attitude! xx

TheJoslinTeamExperience said...

Carina, you are such an inspiration. I loved reading your blogs. It is amazing to see your courageous spirit show joy through all of your circumstances. I need to learn from you!